Small Groups in the Church
1. Houses are gathering places
for the church
2. Practical Benefits
- Subset of entire church- Rom 16:5, 16:14, 16:15.
- Early church
- Acts 2:2 (apostles), 12:12 (Mary), 16:40 (Lydia), 18:7
- Aquila and Priscilla- Rom 16:5, 1 Cor 16:19
- Colosse- Col 4:15, Plm 1:2
- Archaeological evidence- Earliest "church building" dates
to the year
(and it was a converted house!).
- Old Testament ideas-- family celebration of Passover- Ex
3. Making small groups work
- Groups based upon location, relationship, other factors
- Scriptural one-another commands facilitated
- can't know everyone in the church, can't always meet in
the same place,
but small groups facilitate these things
- Don't see groups as excluding others as much as
including the group
- God's work in arranging the body- 1 Cor 12:18 (different
roles for the good of all)
- Opportunities to use God's gifts- 1 Pet 4:9-10 (e.g.
- Keeps us on track spiritually- 1 Jn 4:20
- Avenue for outreach- Acts 20:20
- Acceptance as a result of God's accepting us- Rom 15:7, 1
- Greeting- Rom 16:16,1 Cor 16:20, 2 Cor 13:12, 1 Pet 5:14
- Care and concern for others- 1 Cor 12:25
- Bear with each other- Eph 4:2
- Encouragement in the face of sin- Heb 3:12-13
- Togetherness- Heb 10:24-25. Commitment to "events" vs.
- End Result: God's love made complete in us- 1 Jn 4:12